Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Nelayan Indonesian Restaurant, Melbourne CBD by Obelix

I love a good reliable cheapeats and Nelayan fits the bill.  It caters to the university crowd which is fine by me as it's Indonesian cuisine cooked homestyle with no frills service. 

Most of the Nelayan patrons go for the items in the bain marie which vary seasonally.  Most of the bain marie items include a bit of meat (eg a few curries and casseroles), a bit of veg (eg stir fries) served atop of a mountain of rice.  



For $10 I got a plate with three choices of items.  In my case I went vegetarian.  There was a clump of tofu battered in besan flour (I'm sure there is a proper Indonesian name for this yummy fried thing) which was perfect dipped into their house chilli sauce which had a savoury undercurrent of either ikan bilis or shrimp...couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I also got an eggplant sambal and a standard stir fry.  Not too shabby for $10.  Tea is complementary. 

There are made to order dishes but I have never tried those.  The choices in the bain marie were tempting enough and I never felt the need to go made to order.

Verdict: We loved it. 

Overall
Nelayan = cheap eats Indo style.  Great value, homestyle foods.  Nothing more to say than that!

Nelayan Indonesian Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...