Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ampang Tofu, Doncaster East by Obelix

Ampang Tofu was a tip off from a friend and I was so prepared to be blown away by this place as my friend was but my experience of Ampang was not all that positive. On reflection, it wasn't so much of the food that I was disappointed by, but more of the surly service. The lady whom I ordered from was impatient and generally unfriendly.


Ampang Tofu is the kind of low key family restaurant serving noodle and rice dishes. It's speciality is the 'yong tofu' which is an all encompassing term to capture all manner of stuffed beancurd, okra, eggplant, etc.


The yong tofu dish ($11) is self-customised by selecting one of three broths, one of three types of noodles and six pieces of yong tofu. My friend seems to think that Ampang charges less for kids which is why it's so popular with families. But I was not offered the kiddy discount for Kiddo and I did not enquire as the staff were so prickly as it was.


Kiddo and I had our own variations of the yong tofu. It was ok. Nothing to write home about. The price was decent but then again, I could probably get the same thing elsewhere with or without the surliness. Kiddo made a remark to me that the laksa was a bit spicy and the proprietess overheard our conversation and said what do you expect from a laksa? I felt like snapping back at her for eavesdropping and sticking her oar into a conversation which did not involve her. 



Verdict: We wouldn't return

Overall
Ampang Tofu is classifed cheap eats.  But it's not exceptional cheap eats.  As mentioned above, you could easily find similar offerings for the same price staffed by more congenial people.  

Click to add a blog post for Ampang Tofu on Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...