Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Little Ipoh, Melbourne CBD by Bureaucrat

Having spotted a Malaysian place on an unexpected part of LaTrobe Street, I went and checked it out with Mr S for lunch one day.
 
 
Before going there, I was looking at Little Ipoh’s Facebook page.  It seemed like an authentic place and it appears that lots of ex-pats and groups hold their events there and had glowing reviews of the food.  I was hoping that this would be a new ‘find’.
 
Located upstairs, Little Ipoh is a bit cold and quiet.  On the day we went, it was empty except for one other table.  During the course of our lunch, another pair of diners turned up.  It could do with turning on some heating inside as we both kept our coats on to keep warm.
 
Menu-wise there’s obviously Malaysian dishes, including a few that you don’t usually come across at most Malaysian restaurants.  There’s also a range of Western dishes, including steak, cheese burgers, fish and chips, spag bol and chicken nuggets.
 
I got the char hor fun.  This wasn’t quite what I had expected.  The dish had quite a lot of gravy, which was quite runny – almost a soup and not a thickened gravy.  Also, there was quite a lot of veggies in the hor fun.  I couldn’t really taste the ‘char’ in the hor fun, that is, the smokiness/wok hei from the wok fried noodles; and I was hoping for a more fragrant egginess to the dish as well.  The dish could have also benefited with a bit more seasoning.
 
Mr S got the Ipoh char kuay teow.  His dish looked nicer than mine but Mr S said that he has had better elsewhere. 
 
Verdict
Food - 6
Service - 7
Ambience - 6.5
Price – 7
 
Overall
I don’t mean to sound harsh with my review.  I really wanted to like this place and for it to be my go-to Malaysian restaurant in the city.  I don’t have anything against Little Ipoh but it’s just not for me.  Perhaps we ordered the wrong dishes. 
 
Address
Little Ipoh
Level 1, 360 La Trobe St 
Melbourne 3000  
Telephone: 9329 1826 
 
Little Ipoh on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

RMIT Newintstudents said...

get the biriyani rice. its their speciality. They do this well.

btw did you get invited to Mamame?

Bureaucrat said...

Thanks for the biriyani tip, sally.
We did get incurred to mamame.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...