Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Koba, Melbourne CBD by Big Fil

Koba combines elements of two extremely disparate culinary cuisines, with Korean style fillings in Mexican burritos and soft shell tacos.  It’s a style I’ve heard of in association with some US food trucks, but not something I’ve seen elsewhere in Melbourne.  During our visit Koba was busy without being overrun, but while I didn’t mind our lunch here I can’t say it left me in a hurry to return.

Koba is quite small in size and while there are a handful of seats it’s probably best suited to takeaway.  You pick the type of food you want, burrito, taco or rice bowl, then whether you want the (spicy), pork, beef, chicken.  For a dollar more there is also the option of kim chi rice, to boost the flavour.

My choice de jour was the beef burrito, with kim chi rice.  Everything was cooked and put together fresh – if you wanted to you could watch it being made – and the service was friendly and helpful. 

However, despite this it didn’t really resonate with me.  I think I found the combination of flavours a little ‘messy’, nothing really resonated or stood out as tickling my taste buds.

The same could be said about Snooze’s chicken rice bowl.  Freshly made and not lacking in flavour, for some reason it just didn’t hit the spot.  Filling and relatively satisfying, it just wasn’t that interesting to eat.

Overall
Hmm, I am normally a fan of the big flavours of Korean food, as well as the convenience of street food, but on this occasion it didn’t really do it for me.  Possibly personal preference as much as anything because it does seem to have its fans but can’t say that I’m amongst them.  Not that the food is terrible, it’s just that while the flavours were a little unusual for me it didn’t stand out compared to your generic common garden style burrito.

Verdict
Food – 6.5
Service – 7.5
Ambience – 6
Price – 6.5

Address
119 Hardware Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 9973 8425

Koba on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...