Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crossways Food for Life, Melbourne CBD by Snooze

Big Fil and I stepped out for lunch—the most important requirement for me was that the food be quick and good. Crossways Restaurant, a short walk from work, was chosen and it hit the spot for both speed and quality.

The arrangement at Crossways is a little different to other places: not only is the menu and price set but there is only one main and one dessert on offer, and a choice of cordial, lassi and water to drink. And the price: $5.50 for concession card holders and $7.50 for everybody else. It’s also relatively basic inside although light and bright, and with loads of places to sit on two levels.


Today’s offering, a ‘Malaysian’ tofu curry and rice with poppadoms didn’t appeal at first. The curry looked watery when I viewed it from afar and I was ready to turn my nose up at it. The reality was quite different. The tofu and vegetables were large and chunky, the sauce a decent gravy and the curry itself was flavourful and spicy but not hot. Exactly as I like it.


I thought the date and orange halava with custard was even better. The custard was warm and creamy (although very slightly runny) and the halava was exactly as a cake type dessert should be: nice texture and delicate taste.

As I understand it Crossway has an all you can eat arrangement – I think once you’ve finished you can go back for refills. However, between curry, dessert and lassi we were struggling to finish anyway.





Overall
It’s been years since I ventured to Crossways and I need to make sure it’s not such a long time next time. The food is cheap and tasty, and exactly what you’d expect from a good home cooked meal.

Verdict
Food - 7
Service - 7
Ambience - 6
Price - 10

Address
123 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 9650 2939

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...